History of Women of Wayne
In 1933, a group of alumnae, with the encouragement of Ethel B. Chase, Administrator of Women Students until her retirement in 1947, organized the Alumnae Association of the College of the City of Detroit. When the city reorganized the college and named it Wayne University, the Alumnae Association changed its name to Women of Wayne and established a set of goals to give women who attended the University an opportunity for further fellowship and service.
The objectives of the association are: To provide fellowship and leadership opportunities for Wayne women to develop service programs for the University; to help expand women's opportunities for education; to recognize Wayne women for their contributions to society; and to serve as a voice for alumnae in University-related matters and alumni affairs. Although the projects sponsored by Women of Wayne have changed over the years since its beginning, these objectives continue to be the basis of the activities.