The Wayne State University Alumni Association was founded in 1935. Some important milestones include:
- 1943. Homer D. Strong becomes the alumni association’s first executive director, a position he held for 24 years.
- 1953. The Wayne Alumni Foundation, which gave alumni an opportunity to make gifts to the university, is established.
- 1960. Alumni House, headquarters for the alumni association, is dedicated.
- 1968. Homer D. Strong retires from the alumni association; Paul Andrews becomes executive director.
- 1969. Alumni association travel program is launched. The first tour takes alumni to the Mediterranean island of Mallorca.
- 1985. The organization’s annual ethnic night event honors the alumni association’s first endowed scholarship recipient.
- 1987. The award-winning Wayne State magazine is founded.
- 1991. Paul Andrews retires; Marguerite Rigby becomes the organization’s third executive director.
- 1991. Organization of Black Alumni is established.
- 1997. The David Adamany-Wayne State University Alumni Association Endowed Scholarship is established.
- 2003. Athletics Alumni Association is established.
- 2004. @ Wayne State, the alumni association’s first electronic newsletter, is launched.
- 2006. The alumni association's Web site and Wayne State magazine are redesigned with a contemporary, branded look.
- 2007. World Wide Wayne (W3), the alumni association's new online community, is launched.
- 2009. Executive Director Marguerite Rigby retires.
- 2010. The alumni association kicks off its 75th anniversary celebration.
- 2012. The alumni association announces its change from a dues-based to a non-dues based organization.